Delta 8 THC has become a favorite choice of marijuana users looking for a mellow, transient state of euphoria and relaxation. But will this cannabinoid that is federally legal and half as potent as its psychotropic cousin – Delta 9 THC – show up on a drug test just the same?
The effects of Delta 8 THC are notably half the psychoactive high of Delta THC 9, but they both metabolize in the body’s fat cells as THC. This means that Delta 8 THC metabolites might still be detected by most drug tests, but tests are not finely-tuned instruments, they can be manipulated and passed with the right information.
THC tests come in many forms such as urine test, saliva test, hair test etc. To find out if Delta 8 THC shows up on a drug test or not, keep reading what we have to say about it.
What is Delta 8 THC?
Delta 8 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a cannabinoid found in hemp. It’s considered to be the bridge between CBD and stronger psychoactive cannabinoids like Delta 9 THC. Under the 2018 Farm Act, it became federally legal to extract the Delta 8 cannabinoid from hemp because it contains less than 0.3% Delta 9 THC.
Being an isomer of CBD, yet molecularly very similar to Delta 9 THC, Delta 8 THC users may experience a heavier body feel that is absent from CBD, but without the undesirable euphoric effects of Delta 9.
Delta 8 THC vs CBD
When CBD hit the market, it was in everything from face creams to socks, to gummy bears, ice pops, and other fun edibles. CBD was a legal product so it took no time for it to blow up, selling everywhere, even in rural mom and pop shops.
Here are some other factors about Delta 8 THC vs CBD:
- CBD left something to be desired for the cannabis user; missing was a buzz or a heavy body feel, Delta 8 THC finally provided that. Delta 8 THC entered the legal market in 2019, dwarfing CBD in sales since its introduction.
- Its peak popularity lies in the 14 states that have no access to the medicinal or recreational marijuana market, where it’s being sold at CBD shops and even gas stations.
- In the states that have legalized marijuana use, Delta 8 is still growing in popularity as more people realize the smooth high they may get minus the adverse side effects of Delta 9 THC.
Unlike Delta 9 THC, which has been the most widely available cannabinoid, Delta 8 THC will not give you an overwhelming intoxication that goes on all day.
Does Delta 8 THC Cause Anxiety?
If you have suffered from the adverse psychotropic effects of Delta 9, such as anxiety, elevated heart rates, decreased memory, paranoia, or hallucinations, then the more subdued Delta 8 THC may be the less potent high you were hoping to feel.
Though the FDA has not approved any findings, The National Cancer Institute has found that Delta 8 THC may provide the following effects:
- Reduces anxiety
- Pain management
- Reduces nausea and vomiting
- Stimulates appetite
- Protects against the breakdown of the central nervous system
- Increases mitogen-activated protein kinase activities
These findings have made Delta 8 THC an ideal medical choice for cancer, arthritis, and Alzheimer’s patients. Recreationally, users have reported additional benefits like helping with insomnia, helping users stay focused, and having a light, uplifting high that doesn’t last all day and has no withdrawal. But more research still needs to be conducted.
Will Delta 8 THC Show Up On a Drug Test?
Like other cannabis products, Delta 8 THC is broken down into THC metabolites which are then stored in your body’s fat cells. Chronic use of Delta 8 THC products may add up the amount that is stored in your body and if the amount metabolized reaches .03% percent or higher, it could likely show up in a drug test. Same is the case with a CBD drug test, as the CBD product consumed may contain THC.
According to Mayo Clinic Laboratory, the following numbers show urine test examples of how long metabolites from Delta 9 THC typically stay in the system without detoxing and based on the frequency of use:
- One time use – clear after 3 days
- Moderate use (several times a week) – clear after 5 days
- Daily use – clear after 10 days
- Chronic heavy use (multiple times a day) – clear after 30 days
These numbers represent the most common urine samples of Delta 9 THC users, but the safest assumption is to assign the same durations to Delta 8 THC.
If Delta 8 is Legal to Buy and Use, Why Isn’t It Exempt From a Drug Test?
Both Delta 8 THC products and even CBD products have this same problem- they can show up in a common drug test as THC. The results fail to distinguish the source of THC found in your urine. There are currently no tests that trace your body’s THC to the exact cannabinoid it came from.
How to Cleanse Your System to Pass a Delta 8 Drug Test
If you have enjoyed a Delta 8 THC product too soon before your upcoming drug test, don’t worry, there are trusted ways you can detox and purge the THC out of your system.
Here are two of those ways:
- After your last Delta 8 use, increase your water intake immediately; two gallons a day will help flush out metabolites. Over-the-counter diuretics and natural diuretic supplements or teas of ginger, hibiscus, dandelion, and parsley should increase your urine flow and stimulate the kidneys; the organ responsible for filtering out toxins.
- As THC is metabolized in the fat cells, now is the time to sweat it out! Participate in cardio activities: running, jogging, dancing, boxing, swimming, biking, and other sports. Replace any fatty foods with antioxidant-rich leafy greens, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
It may be best to assume that THC may be picked up by any test if there has been the consumption of Delta 8 THC within a certain time frame, but with the combination of hydration, diuretics, antioxidants, and cardio, you may be able to sweat and pee out the Delta 8 THC in time to and pass your urine test.
Final Considerations About Passing a Drug Test When Using Delta 8 THC
Depending on your usage, health, and fitness level, it can take three days to four weeks for THC to pass through your system, but passing a drug test after using Delta 8 THC is more likely if you have already been living an active lifestyle.
While the definitive way to pass a drug test is to abstain for a period of time relative to your usage, it’s still possible to pass if you have enjoyed a Delta 8 THC product too soon before an expected drug test.
A body detox that includes hydrating, diuretics, cardio, and a healthy diet, might speed up the time it takes for the body to cleanse out the THC metabolites. In the end, the best advice is always to conduct proper research and find out for yourself.